The Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk will close all of its offices to the public effective Monday, March 16 as a precautionary measure to help slow the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, all mail and online orders are experiencing processing delays. Thank you for your patience and please click here for updated information regarding COVID-19.
NOTICE: We are accepting Fictitious Business Name Statements for filing through the mail ONLY at this time.
Small Business Incentives/Doing Business with Los Angeles County
Learn more about the available opportunities for small businesses looking to sell goods or services to the County, the State, and the Federal Government by visiting the Office of Small Business.
Who Should File?
- Persons doing business for profit under a fictitious name (does not include surname in company name).
- The statement must be filed in county of principal place of business and may also be filed in other counties as long as the requirements for filing in the county of principal place of business have been met.
- Non-profit corporations, organizations or associations are not required to file a Fictitious Business Name Statement
Where to File?
(Monday - Friday, except holidays)
||11701 S. La Cienega Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90045
| Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
||44509 16th St. West, Suite 101
Lancaster, CA 93534
|Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
|12400 Imperial Hwy., Room 1201
Norwalk, CA 90650
|Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
||14340 W. Sylvan St.
Van Nuys, CA 91401
|Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Mail requests are only processed at the above Norwalk location. District offices do not process mail requests.
- Owner must sign (corporate officer if corporation; manager or officer if limited liability company; general partner if partnership; trustee if trust).
- Street address of principal place of business and county must be listed (corporation/limited liability companies must include address as set out in its articles of incorporation on file with the Secretary of State and the state of incorporation/organization).
- All owners and their residence addresses must be listed.
- Filed copy of statement must be published once per week for four consecutive weeks in an adjudicated newspaper in Los Angeles County (see list of General Circulation Newspapers online or at the County Clerk 's office).
- Publication must begin within 30 days of filing.
- Effective January 1, 2015, pursuant to Senate Bill 1467, the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk's Office will require a Notarized Affidavit of Identity form to accompany all Fictitious Business Name Statements (Original, Refile and New).
- In-Person: Registrants are required to present a completed FBN statement, show valid identification and complete and Affidavit of Identity form.
- Mail-In: Registrants are required to submit a completed FBN statement, and notarized Affidavit of Identity form.
- Third Party: Persons presenting FBN statements on behalf of the registrant must show valid identification, and submit the completed notarized Affidavit of Identity and Agent form.
- For applicable Fictitious Business Name Statement filings, the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk will require proof of current existence and good standing from the California Secretary of State; no other state evidence will be accepted.
Business and Professions Code § 17918 specifies "No person transacting business under a fictitious business name contrary to the provisions of this chapter, or his assignee, may maintain any action upon or on account of any contract made, or transaction had, in the fictitious business name in any court of this state until the fictitious business name statement has been executed, filed, and published as required by this chapter. For the purposes of this section, the failure to comply with subdivision (b) of Section 17917 does not constitute transacting business contrary to the provisions of this chapter."
This office does not issue business licenses. To obtain a license, contact the City Hall in the city where the business will be conducted. (or click here for a listing). For a business to be conducted in an unincorporated area of the County, contact the Los Angeles County Business License office at (213) 974-0093.
Trademarks and Tradenames
Contact the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Copies of Fictitious Business Name Statements are available from April 2011 to the present.