Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What documents are needed when conducting business as a Corp/LLC?
Owner must sign (corporate officer if corporation; manager or officer if limited liability company; general partner if partnership; trustee if trust).
- Street address of principal place of business and county must be listed (corporation/limited liability companies must include address as set out in its articles of incorporation on file with the Secretary of State and the state of incorporation/organization).
- All owners and their residence addresses must be listed.
- Filed copy of statement must be published once per week for four consecutive weeks in an adjudicated newspaper in Los Angeles County (see list of General Circulation Newspapers online or at the County Clerk's office).
- Publication must begin within 30 days of filing
- Effective January 1, 2014, pursuant to Senate Bill 1325, the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk's Office will require a Notarized Affidavit of Identity form to accompany all Fictitious Business Name Statements (Original, Refile and New).
- In-Person: Registrants are required to present a completed FBN statement, show valid identification and complete and Affidavit of Identity form.
- Mail-In: Registrants are required to submit a completed FBN statement, and notarized Affidavit of Identity form.
- Third Party: Persons presenting FBN statements on behalf of the registrant must show valid identification, and submit the completed notarized Affidavit of Identity and Agent form.
- If the registrant is a corporation, a limited liability company, a limited partnership, or a limited liability partnership, the county clerk will require a print-out evidence issued by the Secretary of State indication the current existence and good standing of that business entity, no other state evidence will be accepted. This can be obtained by going to the Secretary of State website at www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs
Why do we need the Affidavit of Identity?
Effective January 1, 2014, pursuant to Senate Bill 1325, the LA County Registrar Recorder/County Clerk’s Office requires a Notarized Affidavit of Identity form to accompany all Fictitious Business Name Statements (Original, Refile and New).
Why do documents have to be originals?
The original signifies the registrant declares all the information in the fictitious business statement is true and correct; pursuant to BP 17900-17930
What is an Abandonment?
No longer doing business under the fictitious business name that was filed in the previous 5 years.
What is a Withdrawal?
Remove a registered owner from a fictitious business name statement on file-requires publication.