Birth Record By Mail
Request a Copy of a Birth Record by Mail
To request a copy of a birth record by mail:
- Complete an application for a Birth Record and Notarized Certificate of Identity (for mail only)
- Make sure you sign the application and the Certificate of Identity.
- The Certificate of Identity must be notarized. Failure to do so will delay the processing of your request.
- If you do not live in California, have the notary strike out "California" on the Certificate of Identity and put the state in which the form is notarized. It will be accepted with the change.
- Those who are not authorized or do not wish to submit the notarized Certificate of Identity may receive an Informational Certified Copy. Informational Certified Copies have the words "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY" imprinted across the face of the copy.
- Send request and fee to:
Birth, Death and Marriage Records Section
PO Box 489
Norwalk, CA 90651-0489
What Records Are Available?
Records are available for births occurring in Los Angeles County since 1866. If the birth occurred outside of L.A. County or California, click here.
When Will I Receive My Copy?
Most mail requests are processed within 20 working days from the date the request is received by this office. The processing time does not include the delivery time to and from the office, weekends or holidays.
Fees and Payments
- Authorized Certified Birth Record Copy: $28
The fee is nonrefundable. A "No Record Statement" will be issued if the record is not found.
Payment for mail requests can be made by the following only.
- Check: Make payable to the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk. Out-of-state checks are accepted.
- Money orders: Make payable to the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk.
Do NOT send cash.
No requests are available via telephone.