To obtain a marriage license in Los Angeles County:
- Both parties must be present together and provide "Proof of Identity" and age documents. Photo and age verification is mandatory. All documents must be in English. Documents in any other language must be submitted with an English translation by a certified translator. Translations must be notarized. Documents that have expired will not be accepted. Acceptable forms of I.D. are:
- Driver's license
- Alien resident card
- Parties must be unmarried. A previous marriage is valid until the final date of dissolution.
- Written proof of a divorce or the dissolution of a previous marriage is required if the event occurred within the last two years or less. If the final dissolution was more than two years ago, written proof may not be required, but the date of the final dissolution must be provided at the same time the license is requested.
- Parties who have entered into a State Register Domestic Partnership must provide proof of termination, if the termination occurred within the last two years or less.
- If the termination was more than two years, written proof may not be required, but the date of the termination must be provided at the same time the license is requested.
- Parties marrying the same partner, who each entered into a State Register Domestic Partnership, must present a copy of the Declaration of Domestic Partnership.
- Parties living together as spouses who meet the required conditions may request a confidential marriage license.
- Proxy marriages are not legal.
- A blood test and health certificate are not required to obtain a marriage license.
- There is no residence or citizenship status requirement.
Marriage License Under 18 Years of Age
A person "Under 18" must provide a Notarized Parent or Guardian Consent Statement and an order from the Superior Court granting the minor permission to obtain a marriage license.
There are specific procedures for inmate marriages. Please call (562) 462-2137 for additional information.