Who Should File?
- Persons doing business for profit under a fictitious name (does not include surname in company name).
- The statement must be filed in county of principal place of business and may also be filed in other counties as long as the requirements for filing in the county of principal place of business have been met.
- Non-profit corporations, organizations or associations are not required to file a Fictitious Business Name Statement
- Online Business Filing & Registration System
Where to File?
|Location ||Address ||Phone ||Hours |
(Monday - Friday, except holidays)
|LAX Courthouse ||11701 S. La Cienega Blvd. |
Los Angeles, CA 90045
|(310) 727-6142 ||Searches: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. |
Filing: 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
|Lancaster ||44509 16th St. West, Suite 101 |
Lancaster, CA 93534
|(661) 945-6446 ||Filing: 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. |
|12400 Imperial Hwy., Room 1201 |
Norwalk, CA 90650
|(800) 201-8999 ||M-F: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. |
|Van Nuys ||14340 W. Sylvan St. |
Van Nuys, CA 91401
|(818) 376-3777 ||Searches: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. |
Filing: 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Mail requests are only
processed at the above Norwalk location. District offices do not
process mail requests.
- Owner must sign (corporate officer if corporation; manager or officer if limited liability company; general partner if partnership; trustee if trust).
- Street address of principal place of business and county must be listed (corporation/limited liability companies must include address as set out in its articles of incorporation on file with the Secretary of State and the state of incorporation/organization).
- All owners and their residence addresses must be listed.
- Filed copy of statement must be published once per week for four consecutive weeks in an adjudicated newspaper in Los Angeles County (see list of General Circulation Newspapers online or at the County Clerk 's office).
- Publication must begin within 30 days of filing.
Business and Professions Code § 17918 specifies "No person transacting business under a fictitious business name contrary to the provisions of this chapter, or his assignee, may maintain any action upon or on account of any contract made, or transaction had, in the fictitious business name in any court of this state until the fictitious business name statement has been executed, filed, and published as required by this chapter. For the purposes of this section, the failure to comply with subdivision (b) of Section 17917 does not constitute transacting business contrary to the provisions of this chapter."
This office does not issue business licenses. To obtain a license, contact the City Hall in the city where the business will be conducted. (or click here for a listing). For a business to be conducted in an unincorporated area of the County, contact the Los Angeles County Business License office at (213) 974-0093.
Trademarks and Tradenames
Contact the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.